I let most people I meet
know that if they’re going to be obsessed with me, they have to be obsessed
with my dad too.
The people who know
already know my dad and me don't have to be told. They’re already obsessed too.
He started small. He
liked to hunt, so grandma made him eat the kill. It ended with endless days of eating duck
sandwiches for school lunch.
He’s worked his whole
life. My first nanny and I used to play a game called grand central
station. So many people have always
wanted to talk to my dad… legal matters, favours, church matters, favours…In
the game grand central station, we would start the clock and when the phone
rang, the timer would end. It would
sometimes be seconds between phone calls and the house never got to rest
more than five minutes before someone would call looking for Lockey. Generous
to a fault people close to him would say. I hated it. Why couldn’t he say no to
the beggars, abusers and the relentless.
He would leave the house
at 4.30 am to beat rush hour into downtown and most nights we would be in bed
before he got home. Despite the minimal hours we’ve spent together, I never once
thought that I was unloved.
The man is totally
socially awkward. He still pats me on the head when I’ve done well and one time
when I started crying, he pulled out his wallet and tried to hand me his credit
card. The thought makes me laugh and cry all at the same time. The love this man has given.
He seems aloof and
distant to most people, but I know that mama and us are always first on his
mind. I was lucky enough to have him as
my first Principal. He’s a nationally recognized lawyer and runs another full
time business. Everyday was filled with abnormal hours, the grind and chaos. He’s completely non-domestic. He doesn’t know
where anything in his own kitchen is. Each day I would bring him lunches to work,
he would leave the dirty dishes on my desk instead of in the work kitchen (and
since I adore him I would gladly clean them).
After five days of work, he barrelled through the door with two heavy
flats of sparkling water and another flat of organic, gluten free, vegan snacks. He said, Natt,
I saw you’ve been bringing sparkling water everyday, this way you don't have to
go get it all the time. The weird crackers were just a guess because he'd heard that organic, gluten free and vegan was popular now. My heart melts. It’s amazing that through all his life
deadlines, bottom lines and hard lines he picks certain things that are important
to him. I am blessed.
I could write an entire
book about the intricacies of Lockey's mind, but in the interest of time, I’ll just
share one small chapter out of his book of adventures.
Chapter Aught
My Papa used to take me
on hard trails
I'm talking saddle
soars and dropping dead each night after a hard 10 hours on the horse and
days upon days of bathing in freezing mountain lakes, wearing the same clothes,
stringing all the food up in a tree at night, smokey campfires and just
…freezing
We ate bears meat, the
fish we caught and froze at night in the snowy Waterton tundra
He let me be one of the
guys
He didn't mind that I
was tagging along
One day a horse kicked
me in the head
Her name was Grace and I
know it was an accident
She didn't mean to and
she felt bad
I still remember the
sound her hoof made against my skull
It was like those stars,
springs and sounds the bugs bunny characters saw when they got whacked
My second flash was dad
piling snow on my head. It was cold I think
Third flash, riding down
the mountain in oblivion & pain
They told me after it
was a four hour ride out. It seemed like five minutes
[In my adult life, I can
only imagine my dads' shear panic]
Fourth, stumbling into
grandmas house in Lethbridge. She put her hand over her mouth, there was blood
running down my head and all over my waist long golden locks. My green eyes
were wide and dilated from the concussion
I was soaked from the
snow
Fifth - bathtub with
grandma by my side and an endless stream of tears
Then... Oblivion
But that wasn't the
trail ride I was taking about
I guess that ride just
shows I've always viewed horses the same way I view the ocean
I respect the
power they hold
I'm talking about the
trail ride when dad saved my life. Thinking about it now, it was probably the
second time he saved my life...
There’s an ugly scar on
my left hand
He'd given me a new, half
broke, young horse
It was her first time in
the mountains
I was maybe 14, but I
was good horses
I remember so clearly,
something scared her
She ran straight
into a dead tree and then tried to run back
The only trouble was my
hand was bone deep in the dead tree and another thick black branch was
strapping me into my saddle
Dad jumped off Falling
Leaf (his favourite horse)
There were three other
men on the trail with us
They just sat on their
horses with their eyes wide while tears welled up in mine
They
did
nothing
I turned my head to see
her back feet slipping on the shale of a treacherous mountain ledge
I couldn't move from the
saddle
The blackened twisted
tree branch that wouldn’t give seemed to permeate across my left leg, through
the saddle, down the cliff and into my deepest fears
I watched dad barrel to
the tree. His arms and body shook against the trunk of the tree
Her feet were dancing on
the shale
It would've been a long
way down
Dad dug deep
The entire tree
snapped and I was free
No one could believe he
broke an entire tree down. It was all the talk around the campfire that night
I can't believe no one
helped him
They just starred like
that jackass donkey
No on else helped
me
It was only him, my
pops
He's told me four times
in my life that he's proud of me
I live for those
moments
Really live
I hang onto his every
word
And there are many
He's a talker like
me (even though we’d both rather just take a nap over socialize)
He loves a good fish
tale
I know we can be
overwhelming for people
Especially when we're
together
But I like that we're a
lot
I would rather be a lot
than a little
We haven't been on a
trail ride for years together
But it seems like a good
time for us to venture out on the next one
I can hardly wait
No comments:
Post a Comment